Tuesday, March 16, 2010



lesson 39



Time for a lesson update..

Lessons have been upped to one hour now!

I felt the need to increase my time with Maestro, as the previous half hour sessions would be over in the blink of an eye - just time to take the instrument out of its case, do a DAGE-G.. a scale, one technical exercise perhaps, starting or revision of a piece from the 2nd Grade AMEB curriculum.. i was finding that just as i was getting comfortable re; playing in front of him, for i still get very anxious, it would be time to pack up.

I have mixed feelings about increasing lesson time, because since doing so some four weeks ago, i have not capitalised on this precious tuition - as i am not practicing nearly enough as i would like.. my head space and heart are struggling.. this is therefore compounding the distress i am feeling at present with the violin.

Still i am trying my best.

Perhaps i am also making it doubly hard for myself.. as 2 weeks ago i made mention of Kreutzer and asked Maestro when i could start cutting my teeth into this?

It was really a throw away question.. one which i expected him to laugh off.. instead.. he asked me whether i had the book of 42 Studies to which i replied yes.

He asked me to bring it along next time to lesson..

This is what i have been struggling with for the last 2 weeks.. i'm finding it a challenge to say the very least.. going from Grade 2 to this!
I remarked, "This may as well be Mount Everest for me..!"
To which he replied, "Nah!.. perhaps just Mount Kosciuszko!"

Well i'm in the thick of it now it seems.. Is there a base camp 1 on Mt Kosciuszko ?

Yesterday during my practice session at home in preparation for today's lesson i sent Maestro this sms as follows...


"I wish i was in SPACE.. for in SPACE no one can hear you SCREAM!
I am struggling with this Number 2.. that's playing, not doing!"

___________________


I know he has a great sense of humour.. lucky for this, as i was told once, this is indeed needed for violin!

Today we inched a little further through this Kreutzer Study Number 2.. Maestro knows i am determined, for when he played this piece for me, i knew instantly this is the sound of the violin that i love, i can't verbalise what i feel when i hear these melody lines.. i do know however within my core being.. it's what i want to be able to do.. despite the struggle at the moment.
___________________
donna con il violino blu




Rodolphe Kreutzer (16 November 1766 – 6 January 1831) was a French violinist, teacher, conductor, and composer of forty French operas.

Kreutzer was well known for his style of bowing, his splendid tone, and the clearness of his execution. His compositions include nineteen violin concertos and forty operas. His best known works, however, are the 42 études ou caprices (1796), which are fundamental pedagogic studies.

Taken from Wikipedia


donna con il violino blu © 2010 patricia vannucci

No comments: